Skip links

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens

Armed Services

If you are on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces outside the state, you, your spouse and dependents may vote by an armed service absentee ballot if you meet the requirements. In Ohio, your spouse and dependents may vote an armed service absentee ballot only if they left Ohio to be with you.

The voting residence of a service member is the place where you resided when you first entered the service, unless you later established a voting residence elsewhere in Ohio.

Armed service absentee voters do not need to be registered to vote. The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) provides a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA). This FPCA must be used.

You, your spouse, or a close relative may request the Board of Elections to mail a ballot to you. Applications may be made in person, by mail or fax. An Ohio application form or a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) may be used for convenience, but neither is required. Ohio accepts a single FPCA as a request for ballots for all elections in a calendar year. All mail requests must include the following information:

  • Your name and voting residence (Montgomery County address).
  • A statement that you are serving in the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty or are the spouse or dependent.
  • The election for which a ballot is requested. (Under Ohio Election Law, the ballot you vote in a Primary Election determines your party affiliation).
  • Date of birth.
  • Social security number.
  • Other identification form number (driver’s license no., passport no., or State Department no.)
  • Signature of the person requesting the ballot.
  • If a relative is applying for a ballot, we need his/her signature, relationship and address.

For further information on armed service absentee voting contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program.

Need Help With Something Else?

Our site is under construction, but we are happy to provide any additional information you may need. Please reach out to us for assistance via phone at 937-225-5656 or check out our contact page for more options.